Friday 6 November 2009


SPINNING FOR COMFORT... It's been very hard to be creative this year. Grief robs you of any creativity you have in you. But I have found solace in my spinning. It's kept my hands busy and my feet from being fidgety. It calms me in times of stress and anxiety. I have spun up so much yarn since Reece died that I could stock my own wool shop. Being a member of the weavers, spinners and dyers guild has kept me in touch with like minded people and I have made the effort to take part in their projects and workshops.
I had a yarn dyeing day last week with a view to taking part in the Associations Exhibition next March 2010 titled 'Kaleidoscope'. I was pleased with the results and could not wait to spin the dyed fibres to see how they would look. I don't know what the end product will be yet but I'm sure the yarn will inspire me to come up with something. Kaleidoscope just said colour to me so that was my starting point, I will post any ideas that come to mind.
The fibres I used are Shetland tops and the dyes are 'Gaywool' acid dyes that I got from the Threshing Barn near Leek in Derbyshire.
The colours used here are
1. 'Honeycomb' this is dark Yellow,
2.'Tomato' a bright orange red, 3.'Raspberry' a dark pink,

4.'Azalea' a bright pink,
5.'Myrtle' a purple/blue and 6.'Cornflower' blue.
Some interesting greens and oranges came from were the colours mixed together in the dye pan.
You can see how the colours are blending as I spin the fibres. I will navajo ply the yarn to keep the colour sequence. I am now on the trail for inspiration for an end product.....what will it be?




No comments: